| Jul 21, 2014
Strawberry shortcake is a classic for a reason. It’s understated with a tart bite and sweet finish. It's the perfect way to top off a hot summer day. Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar
takes this classic and adds a little twist- a dollop of delicious orange cream on the top. Come on in to this DINE TO WIN
restaurant and enjoy the Strawberry Shortcake with Orange Cream
or whip it up at home. Recipe follows.
• Orange Shortcake Biscuit – recipe follows, 1/3rd of top cut off 4 each
• Strawberry Blend - recipe follows 3 cups
• Orange Cream Topping – recipe follows 1 ¼ cup
• Mint Sprig – fresh 4 each
Strawberry Blend Ingredients
Yield: 3 cups
• Strawberries - de-stemmed and sliced 1/4" 3 cups
• Lemon Juice – fresh 1 Tbsp.
• Sugar - powdered ¼ cup
• Sugar - granulated ¼ cup
Strawberry Blend Procedures:
1. Place 1 cup of the strawberries, the lemon juice and the powdered sugar in a blender. Blend until pureed.
2. Toss together the strawberries and sugar, let sit for 30 minutes, toss until sugar is completely dissolved. Then add the strawberry puree toss until completely coated. Hold refrigerated until needed.
Orange Shortcake Biscuit Ingredients
Yield: 6 Each
• Flour - sifted 2 cups
• Baking Powder 1 Tbsp.
• Sugar - granulated 1 Tbsp.
• Salt - kosher ¼ tsp.
• Lard or Shortening- ½ cup
• Milk - whole 5/8 cup
• Eggs - beaten 1 each
• Orange Zest – fresh, minced fine 1 tsp.
• Sugar - crystals 1 Tbsp.
• Butter - melted 1 Tbsp.
Orange Shortcake Biscuit Procedures
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° convection. Sift the dry ingredients together. Then in a mixing bowl with the dough
hook attachment, add the lard, ¼ at a time, until completely incorporated but not over mixed. Then add the eggs, milk and orange zest, until incorporated. Don’t over mix or the biscuits or they will become too dense.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flour coated cutting board. Knead the dough lightly then roll out to ½” thick. Cut into 3 ½ ” rounds then baste with melted butter and sprinkle sugar crystals evenly over the top of the biscuit.
3. Place on a non-stick cookie sheet and place in the pre-heated 400 ° convection oven. Then bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven, cool to room temperature.
Orange Cream Ingredients
Yield: 1 ¼ Cups
• Orange Zest – minced, very fine 1 tsp.
• Grand Marnier 2 Tbsp.
• Orange Juice – fresh 2 Tbsp.
• Sugar – powdered 1 ½ tsp.
• Vanilla Extract ½ tsp.
• Whipping Cream – Heavy 5/8 cup
Orange Cream Procedures
1. Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Hold refrigerated until needed.
1. Cut the top 1/3rd off of each orange shortcake biscuit; place the bottoms in the center of the bowls. Top each shortcake biscuit ¾ cup of the strawberry blend. Let sit for 1 minute allowing the sauce to soak into the biscuit.
2. Top with the orange cream, place the biscuit top on top of the cream, just off center. Garnish with a mint sprig and serve. Recipe and photo provided by Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar. Blog introduction written by Hayley Murphy.